Saturday, July 7, 2007

Poetry by Mystic Raven: "THREE TIMES FOR THE RUNES"

THREE TIMES FOR THE RUNES

I threw the Runes three times
Three times they told me you were faithless,
Three times I screamed at them.

I went outside and howled
So our children could not hear me
Innocents all, fast asleep and dreaming.

I saw the cooking fires near our hut,
Visions in the smoke came to me
And you were holding her

I saw your gold armband
Runes I painted on it to keep you safe,
And she was in your arms.

I threw the Runes three times,
Three times they told me you were faithless
I screamed for your death,

And stabbed my dagger into the smoke.
I saw you fall, and as you fell
You turned and saw me

Saw me, though so far away
Took off your armband and threw it,
And it landed at my feet.

Now I have only a bloody armband
The sight of you in her arms, laughing
And your eyes in our children's faces.


© Copyright 7/07/07

Beth Clare Johnson
(Mystic Raven)