Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"The Tiles of Blood"

THE TILES OF BLOOD

I wandered outside my castle room this morning
Still in nightdress, for no one was about.
Then I felt the door lock behind me,
And whirled around...

Things had changed in the courtyard
Half of the walls were as they had always been,
And some of them were upside down,
With a gap at the bottom like they were on the top.

I am afraid of heights, and screamed for help
But no one came.
Then suddenly, on the tiles where I was standing
Was bright red blood, spreading fast!

I could not get away from it on my bare feet
Unless I climbed up the walls.
Since some were upside down with castle-top first,
I was afraid I would fall from the walls

No matter which part of them I climbed.
I screamed again and fainted,
And awoke covered in blood.
I leaned against a sturdy wall to catch my breath,

But was afraid it would crumble behind me
Or that I would suddenly be atop the walls.
"What have I done?" I screamed,
"Why is this happening to me?"

Then I saw a transparent white figure
Wavering in and out until it was solid.
It was Helga, my foster-sister until this year
Who had fallen from the castle walls.

Even in death she was very beautiful,
The one who had drawn all the menfolk to her
And especially my betrothed, Sweet Almert.
I hoped that her spirit did not know

That I had paid the stable-boy to push her
And given him a horse to leave the castle.
It seemed an accident to every one,
For they knew she loved Almert and was in despair.

Almert loved her too, and I would not share him!
She drew nearer to me, held out her hand
And pushed it against my cheek.
"You have the choice you did not give me,"
She said.

"You can wear always this bloody handprint
And it will never leave your skin,
Or you can walk through this space
Where the tower top touches the ground;

You will not have as far to fall as I did."
I cried for mercy, but she gave me none.
"Almert will recognize my hand," she said;
He is obliged to marry, but he will hate you."

I asked her for the love we bore each other
Before Almert came into our lives,
If she would hold my hand as I walked into space.
And she did, for she loved me still.


© Copyright 2/26/08
Beth Clare Johnson
(Mystic Raven)