Monday, October 17, 2005

Poem: My Child

Thirteen years ago you took my child
You made her believe it was right
And said it was a game
And she believed

She trusted you
I trusted you to protect her
At a time when I needed you most

Even though she knew it was wrong
She thought it was for the best
She didn’t want problems to be there

You hurt her in ways even I don’t understand
You took her youth away
You betrayed her
You took away the years that were important

You returned her to me threes years later
She doesn’t understand the damage done
And didn’t know what to do

My child has grown up confused
She doesn’t understand herself
You tried everything to keep her
She escaped the only way she knew
That was to another

You didn’t like this
You tried to destroy it
So that you could keep her to yourself
It didn’t work

By then she was stronger than
Even you could imagine
She finally has the strength to stand-alone
Even no she stands alone

But she didn’t understand why
You took her
She is still very afraid that you will return
As you still do in her nightmares

Everythime she thinks she has inner peace
You return to haunt her
She is scared once again

She cannot cope with you
You took her away
She found a small reminder of you
So now she is lost again
WHY DID YOU TAKE MY CHILDHOOD AWAY

Copyright © November 6, 2001 by Bronwyn