Wednesday, November 9, 2005

Ancient Egyptian Religious Law


The 42 Divine Laws of Goddess Ma’at


[Version I]

1. I have not committed murder, neither have I bid any man to slay
on my behalf.
2. I have not committed rape, neither have I forced any woman to
commit fornication.
3. I have not avenged myself, nor have I burned with rage.
4. I have not caused terror, nor have I worked affliction.
5. I have caused none to feel pain, nor have I worked grief.
6. I have done neither harm nor ill, nor I have caused misery.
7. I have done no hurt to man, nor have I wrought harm to beasts.
8. I have made none to weep.
9. I have had no knowledge of evil, neither have I acted wickedly,
nor have I wronged the people.
10. I have not stolen, neither have I taken that which does not
belong to me, nor that which belongs to another, nor have I taken
from the orchards, nor snatched the milk from the mouth of the baby.
11. I have not defrauded, neither I have added to the weight of the
balance, nor have I made light the weight in the scales.
12. I have not laid waste the plowed land, nor trampled down the
fields.
13. I have not driven the cattle from their pastures, nor have I
deprived any of that which was rightfully theirs.
14. I have accused no man falsely, nor have I supported any false
accusation.
15. I have spoken no lies, neither have I spoken falsely to the hurt
of another.
16. I have never uttered fiery words, nor have I stirred up strife.
17. I have not acted guilefully, neither have I dealt deceitfully,
nor spoken to deceive to the hurt another.
18. I have not spoken scornfully, nor have I set my lips in motion
against any man.
19. I have not been an eavesdropper.
20. I have not stopped my ears against the words of Right and Truth.
21. I have not judged hastily, nor have I judged harshly.
22. I have committed no crime in the place of Right and Truth.
23. I have caused no wrong to be done to the servant by his master.
24. I have not been angry without cause.
25. I have not turned back water at its springtide, nor stemmed the
flow of running water.
26. I have not broken the channel of a running water.
27. I have never fouled the water, nor have I polluted the land.
28. I have not cursed nor despised the gods, nor have I done that
which the good gods abominate.
29. I have not vexed or angered any god.
30. I have not robbed any god, nor have I filched that which has
been offered in the temples.
31. I have not added unto nor have I diminished the offerings which
are due.
32. I have not purloined the cakes of the gods.
33. I have not carried away the offerings made unto the blessed
dead.
34. I have not disregarded the season for the offerings that are
appointed.
35. I have not turned away the cattle set apart for sacrifice.
36. I have not thwarted the processions of a god.
37. I have not slaughtered with evil intent the cattle of a god.
38. I have not acted guilefully nor have I acted in insolence.
39. I have not been overly proud, nor have I behaved myself with
arrogance.
40. I have never magnified my condition beyond what was fitting.
41. Each day I have labored more than was required of me.
42. My name has not come forth to the boat of the Prince.

* * * * *

[Version II]

I. I respect the property of others
II. I care for the earth
III. I affirm that all life is sacred
IV. I eat only my fair share
V. I honor animals as sacred beings
VI. I keep the waters pure
VII. I give offerings that are genuine and generous
VIII. I hold sacred those objects consecrated to the Divine
IX. I give blessings
X. I praise the Goddess
XI. I embrace The All
XII. I speak the truth
XIII. I speak works of good intent
XIV. I speak positively of others
XV. I communicate with compassion
XVI. I speak without disturbing others
XVII. I speak with optimism
XVIII. I listen to opposing opinions
XIX. I relate in peace
XX. I can be trusted
XXI. I spread joy
XXII. I create harmony
XXIII. I am forgiving
XXIV. I invoke laughter
XXV. I benefit without violence
XXVI. I keep my own council
XXVII. I remain in balance with my emotions
XXVIII. I hold purity in high esteem
XXIX. I do the best I can
XXX. I advance through my own abilities
XXXI. I follow my inner guidance
XXXII. I achieve with integrity
XXXIII. I honor virtue
XXXIV. I am non violent
XXXV. I live in truth
XXXVI. I am trustful in my relationships
XXXVII. I am open to love
XXXVIII. I am non abusive
XXXIX. I act respectfully to others
XL. I am non-judgmental
XLI. I do good
XLII. I am humble

* * * * *

Ankh udja seneb

_____________________________
Rev. Dr. K.A. Sahure, Hem-netjer-tepey
Rev. Sifu H.A. Diop, Wa’eb
Rev. D.M. Raven, Wa’eb
The Temple of Kheti Ministry
The Temple of Kheti.org