Sunday, October 12, 2008

The I Ching

I Ching (Yi Ying or Yi Jing), a divination and oracle tool, is also known as the ancient Chinese Book of Changes or the Book of Transformation. It is a textual reference and resource of and about Chinese philosophy, prognostication, and intuitive spiritual perception based on the concepts of and theories derived from Yin and Yang, the universal cycles of transformation or change, wisdom, nature and its elementals (i.e., earth, air, fire, and water), and science. The practice of I Ching dates back some 5,000 years ago with many practical uses in modern times for predicting future events, outcomes, and activities. The ancient Chinese consulted the I Ching so as to become more aware of change within their lives (such as with their finances and social relationships) and surroundings.

Although the Book of Changes was originally used for divination purposes, it has uniquely influenced Chinese spiritual thought and philosophy in a way that brings together human beings and nature into a single cosmological system within the universe. Keep in mind that the I Ching is, in its origin, a book of symbology or symbols long before and well before it evolved into a written language or linguistic form. The Gua are displayed and represented as symbols only.

Emperor Wen Wang was the founder of the Chou Dynasty (c. 1111–255 BCE); and according to many historians, he originally formed the 64 I Ching hexagrams and wrote the Confucian classic book of I Ching. The emperor and sage Fu Hsi (reigned 2852-2737 BCE) is said to have discovered the eight (8) I Ching trigrams on the back of a tortoise.

The two primary philosophical schools of I Ching are:

[a] Moral and Reason (Confucian) School -
The Confucian School of studying the I Ching which teaches the Art of Understanding the I Ching.

[b] Symbol and Number (Taoist) School -
The Taoist School of studying the I Ching which teaches the Science of Understanding the I Ching.

As mentioned, I Ching is a divination and oracle tool for convening with universal spirituality:
Briefly, divination is the spiritual art, metaphysical science, and practice of attuning with a single deity or deities (such as a pantheon of gods and goddesses).

An oracle may be defined as a person (such as, a priest, priestess, shaman, medium, etc.), instrument (such as, Tarot, Ouija, I Ching coins and cards, Runes, etc.), or source of divine communication between you or a psychic medium and the spirit realms.

To be continued . . . and coming soon -

How the I Ching works (with yarrow stalks, coins, etc.) and how it can help you in your daily life . . .

Earth - Greater Yin

___________________________
© 2005 Kheti Metaphysical Institute,
Dr. K. A. Sahure & Sifu H.A. Diop

Revised 10.2008 CE by
Dr. P.M. Lorca, D.D., D.Met.
Temple of Kemetic Wicca